Friday 18 May 2012

Moans and other random thoughts...

Now of course being female I am not prone to moaning (hush now!) but there are some things in life that, well... need to be addressed.

For example; How is it that when I go to bed of an evening my 'secret' crisp stash, locked securely in my desk, miraculously goes down? I have my suspicions so watch this space for my newly patented bunny trap.

Flopsybunny and I were chatting earlier and what was the most important thing on her mind? Well she was lamenting the fact that you simply cannot get decent sausage skins!! Sausage skins?! I asked her, what's wrong with sausage skins? She then informed me that they are either tough and chewy or weak and split. Mad I say, mad!

It did get me thinking though... If bread is square, why is sandwich meat round?


No wonder no work is getting done today! I wonder... When my get up and go got up and went, where exactly DID it go?


To finish I have a few questions for you all to ponder:

If writers write, why don't fingers fing, grocers groce, and hammers ham?

Why are there 5 syllables in the word 'monosyllabic'?

Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Why is the word abbreviation so long?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and wise guy are opposites?


I think I need to rest!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love your list of verbal conundrums - that kind of thing fascinates me! The first one does have a kind of answer in that the noun 'writer' is derived from the verb 'to write' whereas the other words you cite are nouns alone - but it's fun to fox and befuddle!
    TEM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh TEM :) I have to admit I do find the English language and its origins utterly fascinating. You are of course quite right in your observation, this means you passed my test and win a prize... not sure what yet though... maybe some left over trout and liver twizzlers from Flops' next cooking experiment!!

    ReplyDelete